lundi 22 avril 2013

Editor's desk: big things ahead

Phil Nickinson

Exciting things are going on, folks. Mostly I'm going off the grid this week as far as the normal working week applies, but that is not to say there is nothing going on.

So here is a fun, fast and productive week in New York, with some of the smartest people I know.

And now, a few thoughts on the week was:

"It's not as bad as it looks" Department, HTC, which has the makings of a smartphone hit the idle HTC One--sent an e-mail to those of us who preordered the 32-gigabyte SIM unlock and 64-gigabyte "developer edition" directly from HTC (OK, let's talk), they were late, and the ship before the end of the month.

It is not the biggest delays--possibly in a week and a half--but it's not just the title of the company's needs when the HTC One was delayed in many countries from March to April. Not that it was really the fault of HTC's security, and the Midwest floods were to blame-but still.

The good news: some phones manage to ship on Friday, just one hour "delay" was announced. HTC, and more and more, I say, posted on Saturday, will take place as early as this week.

So could have been worse, I guess.

Much has been said, since last Monday to the horror of the Boston marathon is considered to be the tech sites writing about publications of the bombing. Worrying about whether it was the "right" way to do it, I'm thinking more about how well it was made.

When the news is really breaking-and some that blogging "to develop ..." bullshit is all the rage these days-I'm OK with a little bit of time tuning and waiting for a clearer picture. I think this goes back to what I did for the newspaper. I worked mostly on the content when it is done consistently written and edited. That allows more thinking and a more detailed look at what's going on.

It is also entirely natural to want to know every detail in seconds. I was pretty stunned by Friday night, as the final manhunt unfolded live police scanner-and people just couldn't stop tweeting about what was happening. Now police scanners are relatively lo-fidelity. But if the suspect had taken a bullet in the eye, that voyeuristic game quickly becomes a snuff film. Can't live without it.

For Me? I went to the news sources in the Boston area as well as the usual national players and the raw AP feed. Is in the "cover" of news writing and integrating someone else's work, and then there are the real "coverage" to the reporters on the ground. National news breaks, the networks to send their own talking heads, when newspapers sent reporters or (hopefully, if they still have them) to put the Office of the Secretary work. But it is at the local level, which makes some of the best work.

Something reminds me of: tech news/traditional News organizations, the argument has continued in the traditional News forever. Sports desks, love to watch newsies running around all over the place on election day. The home city of the newspaper, it is called the Friday night football. And College football Saturdays. There is blowback, always when it's "sports" story comes from the "news". I spent my first four years, the sports newspaper. The next eight news. And I have made a "tech blog" thing, for a period of three years. Different publications covering things differently and in different sections of the publications to approach things in a different way. In this way it should work. So maybe that is why I was disappointed, at least initially, to see such an unimaginative coverage from various "tech blogs".

Syndication is one thing. It is better to use the resources, and to be honest to your readers, I think. Rewriting and merging the "in the news"--especially during the tragic events--only seems self-serving.

I would argue, also, is what you do in between fresh events, which determines how well you cover the "news". Although the main events are never "easy", they are also laid out in front of everyone. This will make it easier for the ill, which is to be published in any platform. I am glad that all of this has been blowback. It will be interesting to see how the daily coverage. (And it may very well have moving anyway and just noticed.)

If anything, what we saw last week was a bumpy stretch of winding, transfer power to the bus.

Maybe I've been out of the news in the game too long. Or maybe having two young daughters made me soft. But I found myself tearing up throughout the week. Is a horror. Is courage. All of humanity.

I thank those who put themselves in harms way. Who will comfort the afflicted. And that helps keep the horrible events like this happen in the future.

It was pretty sad that some people are trying to cheat our HTC, one of the Developer Edition of the competition to win his way. I was naive thinking, it's not going to happen.

We're going to have someone not the usual editorial staff choose the winner. We've yet to throw in a couple of the Nexus 4S are two lucky runners-up. Find the winners will be announced soon.

It was heavy. A few closing thoughts a happier this week:

a 6-year-old daughter is obsessed with Reading Rainbow app for iOS. (And I'm insanely jealous, directed by Sam Liu Burton retweeted my wife.) Need to get more great children's content on the Android and Google play needs a better visibility of it.To see so much love for the HTC One yourself. But we have yet to see the full force of the Samsung Galaxy S4 marketing machine. HTC has started a campaign, but it is more subtle. Samsung's going to carpet bomb the hell out of things again, for sure.AT&T got in my home town just like the Nexus of LTE for 4 came out. Namely, I am not really using AT&T LTE in my home yet. I had forgotten how fast LTE can be. It will be interesting to see how the battery can hold.Intrusion into the tip of the week: Keep as far as the portal, as you can when the Resonators. The opposing factions, curse it, especially if one is in a hard to reach spot.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire